Bike the "Great Waters" Tour
June 2, 2013 - June 8, 2013
July 7, 2013 - July 13, 2013
August 11, 2013 - August 17, 2013
September 15, 2013 - September 21, 2013
You are never more than a few miles from the "Great Waters" on this seven (7) day/eight (8) night 390 mile tour as we bike along the shoreline where the Lakes Michigan, Huron, and Superior meet. These freshwater "oceans" are an incredible blue which is unlike any other water in the world. The distance shorelines of the Upper Pennisula and Canada provide the backdrop which enhances the sense of that "Up North" feel. You breathe the clean scrubbed lake air which invigorates us each day as we pedal. The shoreline we bike past ranges from golden sand beaches and sand dunes with not a person in sight to towering 200' sandstone cliffs jutting vertically out of the water. This is the "Great Water" Region of Northern Michigan.
We've coupled the route's gentle terrain and moderate daily distances (average 55 miles per day)to offer a superb choice for the first-time bicycle tourist as well as the seasoned bike traveler who seeks a more laid back cycling experience. Also, we offer optional daily kayaking and hiking adventures for those who want to mix it up.
- 7 days with departures on Sunday and returning the following Saturday
- Accomondations are provided for 8 nights with a choice of either camping or indoor lodging
- Van supported - SAG, knowlegeable guide, and bike repair available
- Daily lunch and enroute snacks included
- Unpaved rails-to-trails paths with quiet paved backcountry roads (alternate route for paved road only available)
- Difficulty: Intermediate
Note: Accomodations are included for the Satuday night prior to and the Saturday after the tour.
- Price: $995.00 for camping option or $1,395.00 with indoor lodging option.
We provide the reservations for your accomodations.
"Great Waters" Tour Brief
- Saturday the day prior to tour start:
-- Welcoming and registration:
--- Go to the Great Lakes Eco-Adventure Center (GLECenter) Yurt in Indian River.
--- An ice-breaker gathering in the evening at the GLECenter Yurt (Optional)
- Sunday (Day 1): Leave the GLECenter in Indian River to St. Ignace via Mackinaw Island
-- Meet at 8:00 AM for ride briefing and rules of the road.
-- Leave GLECenter Yurt at 9AM
-- Ride North Central Trail to Mackinaw City for lunch.
-- Take Ferry to Mackinaw Island
-- Take Ferry to St Ignace for dinner and overnight.
-- Miles 45
- Monday (Day 2): Depart St Ignace for Sault Ste. Marie (Soo) at 9 am.
-- Stop in Cedarville for lunch with optional kayaking in the Les Cheneaux Islands he worlds largest
-- Tour the Soo locks
-- Miles 70
- Tuesday (Day 3): Leave the Soo and pedal to the end of road at Paradise Michigan.
- Stop for lunch at Iroquios Point Lighthouse
- Paddle the coves in Whitefish bay on Lake Superior
- Visit Whitefish Point - the location of the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald and Shipwreck Mueum
- Mileage 60
- Wednesday (Day 4): Leave Paradise for out of the way Grand Marias at 9am
- Visit the Tachquanmon Falls
- Lunch in Deer Park
- Search for Agates on beaches
- Partake at micro brew in Grand Marias
- 55 miles
- Thursday (Day 5): Depart Grand Marias for Munising - the gateway to Pictured Rocks at 9am
- Numerous pull-offs and scenic over looks such as the "Log Slide"
- Optional paddle/hike trips to Picture Rocks lakeshore itself - we offer inflatable SUP padaling
- 50 miles
- Friday (Day 6): Overnight in Munising – the Grand Island Tour or Marquette Road Ride
- Take ferry to Grand Island to ride around Island – 35 miles
- Or ride back to Picture Rocks for more hiking or pedaling - 40 miles
- Or ride the incredible shoreline road to Marquette and back - 95 miles
- Saturday (Day 7): Depart Munising for "UP" Crossing 8am
- Dip rear tire in Lake Superior ride until front tire in Lake Michigan
- Depart for GLECenter at 4 PM
- Arrive at GLECenter at 7PM
- 60 miles
- Accomodations are provided for that night.
- End of tour get-together at GLECenter Yurt in Indian River.
Generously provided by our friends at Bike Tour Vacations, www.biketourvacations.com